Power

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Dec 5 13:38:12 PST 2002

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> The bottom line is that "power" asymmetries are not pre-scribed apriori
> by social roles and relations - they emerge from social interactions in
> which prescribes roles, expectations, and capacities have some, but not
> necessarily decisive, influence.
>
> Wojtek

Yes, yes. The social world is socially constructed via interactions. But the social structures thus created are like "ruts in the road" for subsequent social interactions--sure, some carts will wander off the path, but it's sure money to bet that most of the wheels will follow the ruts. Have I tortured that metaphor enough?

Miles