Power

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 6 06:40:45 PST 2002

Catherine Driscoll wrote:

> Miles writes:
>
> > ...So the question
> > of free will isn't an interesting theoretical question for me.
> > I think it's much more useful to ask: Why the incessant focus on
> > individuals and subjectivity in our society? How does this
> > individualization reinforce economic and political structures?
>
> But, isn't there a significant difference between "individuals"
> and "subjectivity", insofar as you could avoid individualism, but
> not "subjectivity".
>
> Catherine

Is it possible that this discussion/debate has taken the form of:

A. The ball is on the table.

B. No, it's round.

C. No, it's yellow.

D. No, it's off the floor.

E. No, it's soft.

F. No, it's .....

The word power has a number of radically different senses in different "domains," and those senses have no relationship. This discussion tends towards a Platonic goal of finding the real essence of every word.

Carrol