Technology: No Time Saver

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall at union.org.za
Fri Dec 6 07:26:30 PST 2002

Gadgets save just six minutes

JIM MCBETH jmcbeth at scotsman.com

IN THE midst of our hamster-in-a-wheel existence, it’s a comfort to know indecently expensive labour-saving devices are saving us a fortune in that most precious coinage - time.

Where would we be without the computer? A microwave? The dishwasher, blender and that electric carving knife?

Well, the latest statistics suggest we would be precisely six minutes worse off daily.

Even though we spend millions of pounds on gadgets, it’s suggested the way we use them saves us only 42 minutes a week, according to a study by Telewest Broadband, the cable company.

Questioning 500 people, the company found those aged over 40 appeared to be getting most from technology, but two-thirds admitted they were living too quickly. Eight in ten said they hurried to get ready for work while seven in ten rushed there. Two thirds also rushed to get home.

Other activities in which people speeded things along included shopping, housework, making dinner and eating it.

The study also characterised six British speed types. Over-achievers lived at 100mph, aggressive, impatient and wanting everything yesterday. Rationalisers check back to 90mph, but they are intolerant control freaks .

Idealists race at 80mph as determined workaholics, single minded, but critical of themselves, while sanguine socialites keep to the motorway limit, balancing work and play in a generally happy way .

Traditionalists are soft on the throttle at 60mph and enjoy leisure more than work. Then, there’s the normal person, laid back, someone who lives at their own pace. --- Sent from UnionMail Service [http://mail.union.org.za]