Power

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Dec 6 07:56:55 PST 2002

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Catherine Driscoll wrote:

> But, isn't there a significant difference between "individuals"
> and "subjectivity", insofar as you could avoid individualism, but
> not "subjectivity".
>
> Catherine

It is exactly this insistence on the obdurate reality of "subjectivity" that intrigues me. The idea that people have unique subjectivities emerged in specific societies at specific points in human history; it is not simply human nature to conceptualize "subjectivities". To me, it's no coincidence that the insistence on the value and importance of subjectivity is most extreme in hypercapitalist societies like the U. S. To coin a hyperbolic slogan: capitalism produces subjectivities. Like most of the effects of capitalism, there are good and bad things about this.

Miles