Berkeley Mayor

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Fri Dec 6 19:38:54 PST 2002

[from Daly Cal, 12/6/2002, fwd LP]:

``Berkeley Mayor Tom Bates has admitted responsibility for stealing and trashing about 1,000 copies of The Daily Californian that carried the student newspaper's endorsement of his opponent [Shirley Dean], police said yesterday...''

--------

Like most places, Berkeley faced electing the lesser of two evils in the November Mayor's race. The choice was between electing a known war criminal, or a petty thief soft on free speech. I think we did the right thing.

You say Shirley Dean was not a war criminal. Oh. I was mis-informed.

Chuck Grimes