Body Count

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Sat Dec 7 08:15:15 PST 2002

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> > I am not sure what would be the aim of police work.
> > Gather evidence and
> > arrest suspected terrorists? What would constitute
> > the adquate evidence?
>
> Yes. The usual standards apply. I assume that India, a
> common law country, has a beyond a reasonable doubt
> standard to prove criminal liability.

We are talking about covert and deniable acts of terrorism on the territory of one country by other country. Are you not converting the question of power in international relationships to due legal process, beyond reasonable doubt etc.? How do international law and treaty obligations impact these matters?

> How do you
> > organise the police
> > work, when Taliban are in power? Your police force
> > is sent on a wild goose
> > chase by your "allies". Suspected terrorists are
> > tipped off just before a
> > raid. They can be provided shelter in mosques and
> > madrassas.
>
> Sort like chasing the Mafia in an Italian
> neighborhood.

I will take a hypothetical situation. A group of 5 Afghans is trained, armed, financed by ISI, they infiltrate into Indian Kashmir and blow up Kashmir legislative assembly. They escape and hide into caves of Taliban ruled Afghanistan. What do you expect Indian government to do? Provide evidence to Mulla Omar, who will promptly handover suspects to India? Is this like Sicily?

> The Taliban was not the problem. The Taliban did not
> organize 9/11. Al Qaida did. The Taliban is gone, but
> al Qaida is still here. They just beew up some people
> in Malaysia today.

Infiltration into Indian held Kashmir by terrorists has declined by 50% in last one year. Where is bin Laden hiding? Did Taliban not provide sanctuaries to A-Q? I agree it is not enough to get rid of Taliban, but A-Q is now without any overt support by any state.

As for Malaysia, this what Mahathir is quoted as saying in today's The Hindu newspaper: "Dr. Mahathir said that some Malaysians, who wished to seize power in Kuala Lumpur, went to Pakistan as also Afghanistan, purportedly to study religion, but actually to learn how to make bombs, rob banks, to kill and to topple the Government (in Malaysia) to set up a supposedly Islamic nation."

Ulhas