Power

H. Curtiss Leung hncl at panix.com
Sat Dec 7 09:57:33 PST 2002

Does individualism even have anything to do with discussions of subjectivity? Individualism is linked to political rhetoric and thought, subjectivity to theories of mind and knowledge--unless by "subjectivities" you mean certain configurations of values and beliefs that can be reasonably imputed to various people, in which case, individualism would certainly be one of them.

Broadly (i.e., inaccurately) speaking, isn't it funny that the political idea of the sovereign individual comes into vogue about the same time we get the great philosophical attempts to build systems upon foundations of some uniform, universal subjective apparatus?