Gilder on trust

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 7 15:47:30 PST 2002

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>[as far as I know this is not a hoax - where's Herman Melville when you
>really need him?]
>
><http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2002/1223/234_print.html>
>
>Forbes - 85th Anniversary issue - December 23, 2002
>
>The Confidence Game
>
>Why I trust the most disgraced chief executive more than I do the most
>reputable public servant.
>
>George Gilder
>
>... chief executives know that their success is dependent on grasping a
>reality that they can never comprehend in its fullness themselves. In order
>to win they must trust others and collaborate with them. Their success
>depends on the successes of others; their own enrichment relies upon the
>enrichment of their customers and collaborators; their own profits stem
>from the dignity of voluntary personal choices, rather than coercive
>appropriations. Their entire enterprise is ultimately founded on trust.
>That is ultimately why I trust them. They trust me.

Ah, the never-ending hijinks aboard the good ship Fidèle. The Confidence-Man's masquerade continues!

Carl

Alas for man, he hath small sense Of genial trust and confidence

- Herman Melville

_________________________________________________________________ Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail