Body Count

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 8 06:16:37 PST 2002

> Luke and other Americans who are not used to living with it, as Indians, > Irraelis, the Spanish, the Brits, and others are, find this > confession intolerable. No, but I do believe that intellectual honesty compels one to make that confession before proposing police action as a "solution" to the threat posed by Al Qaeda. Since it applies to all solutions, I don't think it's specially necessary, but I have now made it. Happy, Luke> Now you do too, for your preferred Kill Em All Solution/ > They think there must be something large and loud we can do that will end it once > and for all. They are wrong. We have to try in the way > appropriate to free societies to fight these criminal activities. It is better if, in doing > so, we do not demolis h the liberties we have painful won. That at least is not so > hard. jks If a state attacked the US with the force of Al Qaeda and appeared capable of inflicting much heavier damage in the near future, would you demand that we exten

d due process to the leaders and troops of that state? -- Luke You do like irrelevant hypotheticals. What does this have to do with anything? If a state atacked the US, we'd be at war. None did, includiong the one we demolsihed in your recent favored war, and where we are budgeting, according to the Chicago Tribune -- hold your hats --$12 million for reconstruction. That is million, not billion. But I wander. The US was attacked by a terrorist gang with no state affiliation. It was the victim of a crime, not a military atack. ,a military response did nothing to make us more secure, and may have made us less secure, while predictably allowing the govt to roll back our civil liberties more than 50 years. If you like war, luke, you have to sign up whole hog, the USA Patriot ACt, Camp X Ray, secret military tribunals, the works. It's your baby. jks