Gilder on Trust

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Dec 8 08:34:50 PST 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> >Didn't Gilder lose all his money by trusting the dotcom bubble all the
> >way to the bottom?
>
> At last report, there was a lien on his house and he was broke. The
> guys he trusted - Winnick, Lay, & Co. - all got out at the top.
> George kept holding the bag.

There ought to be a burlesque epic by some one, _The Gilderoniad_. I haven't followed him very closely, but but he seems to have a capacity to rise to ever new heights of the ridiculous. There's a four-book 'epic' called the _Washingtoniad_ discovered by a grad-school friend who collected bad books. It was the jewel of his collection. A minister had written it around 1900, with the express purpose (stated in the preface) of providing "american boys" with the same pedagogical aid that Homer provided greece & Virgil Rome. It's publication was due, apparently, to the fact that he was a friend of the wife of Putnam of Putnam Pub. Co.

Carrol