Body Count

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Dec 8 10:45:00 PST 2002

At 1:19 PM -0800 12/8/02, Luke Weiger wrote:
>Why should our response to the perpetrators of a series of attacks
>like those seen on 9-11 vary depending on whether or not the
>responsible party was a large gang of terrorists or a state like
>Guatemala? I understand the rhetorical move you've been trying to
>make: a "crime" should be responded to with only police
>investigation whereas a "military attack" can justifiably be
>responded to with military force. Now I'm trying to see exactly why
>it is you think any entity that isn't recognized as a state also
>isn't capable of military attack, no matter how many people they
>kill as a result of their actions.

Non-state actors -- e.g., anti-colonial guerrillas -- are capable of military attacks, but if you recognize them as combatants in war, you have to treat them as such. I don't know why anyone wants to elevate the status of 9.11 terrorists from that of criminals to that of combatants in war. Combatants in war have more rights -- protected by the Geneva Convention*, relevant UN resolutions, etc. -- than criminals. For instance, it is illegal to execute prisoners of war, whereas it is legal to execute those who are convicted and sentenced to death in a nation that still practices capital punishment.

* Geneva Convention relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War, adopted on 12 August 1949 by the Diplomatic Conference for the Establishment of International Conventions for the Protection of Victims of War, held in Geneva from 21 April to 12 August, 1949, entry into force 21 October 1950, <http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/91.htm>. -- Yoshie