Gilder on Trust

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Dec 8 13:28:08 PST 2002

On Sun, 8 Dec 2002, Carl Remick quoted Wired saying:

> It's on the back page that Gilder lists the stocks he has dubbed
> "telecosmic" - companies that have most faithfully and fully embraced
> the "ascendant" telecom technologies in which he believes so wholly and
> deeply. "For a few years in row there, I was the best stock picker in
> the world," Gilder says ruefully. "But last year you could say" - here,
> for emphasis, he repeats each word as a sentence unto itself - "I. Was.
> The. Worst."

This is like the old joke about the guy who jumped off a 10 story building and was heard to say going past each window, "So far, so good."

Guilder is that guy recovering in the hospital and still proud of his 9 out of 10 record, even while conceding that last floor was a doozy.

Michael