Power, Social vs Personal Relations

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Dec 8 14:45:44 PST 2002

"Social relation" is ambiguous, in that it can be used to describe two quite different, even opposed, kinds of relation. The ambiguity can be arbitrarily resolved by distinguishing _personal_ from _social_ relations. This is commonly done in practice. Should students and faculty have sexual relations? This has been widely debated, and the debate turns precisely on whether or not it is legitimate for a social and a personal relation to coincide. Or consider the old council against loaning money to friends. Lender/borrower is a social relation, while friendship is a personal relationship. The confusion of the two may be prohibited -- or in this case, demanded by some. Plato's conception of lending was that it should occur _only_ between friends, and that was his motive for arguing that the state should not enforce the collection of debts: the state should not interfere in personal relationshps. This distinction has also arisen in debates over segregation: segregation is legal in _personal_ relationships but illegal in social relations. (Fur flies over this of course.)

I'm not sure that personal relationships are of any interest or relevance to the study of social relations, for social relations are determined _behind the back_ of the actors as it were, and the personal beliefs, feelings, etc. of the actors does not and cannot change the social relation. This thread or bundle of threads began with a question (posed I believe by Ian) over a question of social power, not personal power. It is playing words, engaging in superstition, to regard "power" in "power in society" as being the same word as "power" in "power in personal relations." We _can_ talk of the way in whcih social relations influence personal relations (or vice versa), and we can note the operation of power in each -- but still we must not think that we are talking about the same thing with the word power in the two contexts.

Carrol