Body Count

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Dec 8 17:42:55 PST 2002

>Luke Weiger wrote:
>
>>It depends on the scale of threat and the potential efficacy of military
>action. >When the threat is large (i.e. there's good reason to think many
>thousands will die >in the future as a consequence) and when it also appears
>that military force will >diminish that threat to a large degree, then it's
>justified. The question of whether >or not the threat is posed by a
>government or a terrorist collective is not relevant.
>
>There is also a scenario of state sponsored terrorism. And if the state
>sponsoring it is a nuclear weapon state, it is even worse. I was mainly
>writing about the use of covert and deniable (therefore, not verifiable in
>every case) acts of terror on the territory of thecountry A, by the state
>apparatus of the country B as an instrument of foreign policy.
>
>War is one of the options. There could be other options or a combination of
>options. e.g. A could retaliate by resorting to covert and deniable acts on
>the territory of B.
>
>Ulhas

Were I a guardian of the American Empire, I wouldn't allow India and Pakistan to go to war and make a (possibly radioactive) mess that the Empire must clean up when I'd rather stay focused on Iraq and Venezuela, but I would be very pleased to see India and Pakistan employing covert actions in each other's territory, debilitating themselves, so I might even help you both in doing so. -- Yoshie