Power, Social vs Personal Relations

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Mon Dec 9 11:28:34 PST 2002

Carrol says:

catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au:
> Superstition?
> Carrol, I just don't think these "two contexts" are this separable (let
> alone this easily separable). Show me an operation of social power which is
> not instantiated in personal relations, or the other way around. I just
> don't buy it.

Someone has a lot of money in the bank. Now, it's true that the social power of the money will be instantiated through a series of personal relations of a sort, but these may be very transitory and abstract. For instance, they buy a lot of real estate, thus depriving other of the use of it and driving up prices, but the transaction and its effects are not specifically personal.

-- Gordon