power

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Mon Dec 9 19:27:25 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: <billbartlett at dodo.com.au>

> OK you play word games then. Using wanker words like "conflating" (my
dictionary denies the existence of any such word) doesn't make word games any less silly you know. Speak plainly for Christs sake.

=====================

No games. To say discussion is like a game with winners and losers is plain stupid. Get a new dictionary.

> Power: (in this context) The possession of control or command over
others. - Macquarie dictionary`

Ah so there is only one true definition of power. Get a new dictionary.

> Simple. It is unnecessary to construct incomprehensible sentences in
order to grasp the meaning of this simple word, we all know the meaning of the word, so shut up about that and stick to the point.

> Clearly, when we say that love is power, any numbskull can see that we
don't mean the definition of love is the same as the definition of power. We are saying that love confers power. Confers it on the object of the love. Being loved gives you power over the person who loves you. Have you got it yet? Now you can wank on about "conflating" this and "standard taxonomic distinction" that, until you are black in the face, but it completely misses the point.

Gag, what could possibly show this to be the silliness that it is? Words perhaps? My love for family and friends has *nothing* to do with power over them.

> If you have some point to make about why the observation that love is
power might be mistaken, just say it simply, without all the tortured sentences and imaginary words. I'm pretty sure you don't have anything intelligent to say though.