power

catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au
Mon Dec 9 20:32:22 PST 2002

> > You flatterer.
> > Dare I ask? Yeah, why not. In what sense am I adolescent? In what
>sense
> > incredulous?
>
>=====================
>
>Because you betray no hint of thinking through the tortured history of
>the failures and successes in the philosophy of science, law etc. that
>have pointed out the need for distinctions between explanations and
>definitions........? :-)

Wow, and that's adolescent is it? But I see the problem. It's not that I've never considered this imperative. I just disagree.

> > From flattery to sheer nastiness. I admire your flexibility.
> > But you're mistaking me for someone else. I don't even know who Lukes
>is,
> > let alone have read or 'philosophised' anything concerning (at a
>reasonable
> > guess) him.
>
>==============================
>
>Now who is being accusatory, yet again? What color is my hair? Stephen
>Lukes, author of "Power: A Radical View" and other texts.

No, I don't know it. Do you recommend it? And for what?

> > I do love the line "de-obfuscate the fuzziness"... it's like something
>from
> > a Disney song sung by cartoon-Zizek.
> >
> > Catherine
>
>=======================
>
>Well that is especially the case when some desire to define everything
>from electromagnetic"fields" to love in terms of power. I have no desire
>to exercise power over them in order to point out the ludicrousness of
>employing a term to so many contexts, events, entities, relations etc.
>that what categorical distinction we do work with no longer convey
>useful info/meaning. I'm not into neatness, I'm just for undoing the
>desire of others to engage in power-over without resorting to "it"
>myself when dealing with them........

To claim "power" is a concept worth struggling with, that it takes many forms and works in diverse ways, is obviously not the same as saying all those forms and ways are identical. Indeed, you're the one who wants a neat binary model.

Authoritarians fear comedians, musicians, poets, philosophers etc. It's up to "us" to demonstrate that there's nothing to be afraid of............

God -- comedians, poets and philosophers all terrify me, though admittedly it does depend on the comedian. I'm fine with musicians though, so hopefully I can escape being thought authoritarian.

Catherine