Getting it right

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 10 07:36:46 PST 2002

Your guy ought to be more relaxed. I agree that we ought to be careful to get things right (look what happened to that historian at Emory!), but journalists are not scientists or experts in a lot of the areas that they write about, and if they are held to the standards of 100% accuracy on everything, no one will read them about anything. I mean, they can't even get quotes right. I have never beeb completely accurately quoted by the press when I have been interviewed (even when they get the general sense right); I am sure Doug, who gets interviewed lots more, has had the same experience. So it seems to me that your pal was looking for an excuse to blow Moore off, unless he'll apply the same standard to mainstream and right wing journalism with the same results, i.e., not read any of it. Furthermore there is a lot of dispute about the science of global warming, as I understand it, although a lot of it is ideological, there is still disagreement. From what I gather, and lord knows I am not an expert, responsible scientists agree that it's happening and it's a problem, but how much and just what, these are not Facts like the earth being round.

jks