Getting it right

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Dec 10 13:28:26 PST 2002

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>You hold Doug up as a standard. I hold him up as an
>ideal. Very few of us are as smart, fast, careful,
>knowledgeable, and efficient as Doug. He's as good as
>they come for that reason, and we should aspire to be
>like him, but there aren't that many of us who are --
>scholars or journalists. We should criticize the
>errors of left (and other) journalists, but we have to
>take their work for what it's worth even if it isn't
>as good as Doug's.

Why thanks a lot, but Moore can afford an army of researchers and factcheckers, but he seems not to care. Those of us who try to get our facts straight and our analysis bulletproof with very few resources can do it, so it's kind of dispiriting when the well-financed can't. Because there's no quicker way to discredit yourself than to be caught fucking up on stuff that matters. And when you're writing from the left, that goes quadruple at least. When you're Robert Rector, it doesn't matter.

Doug