Weak Links?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Dec 11 19:24:23 PST 2002

> > How much of a surprise was the Russian revo to the outside world? Was
>> Russia perceived as a weak link, or did it only become so in
>> retrospect?
>>
>> Doug
>
>Marx and Lenin thought so.
>
>Michael Perelman

Engels, for instance, wrote the following sometime "between mid-May 1874 and April 1875":

***** Refugee Literature by Frederick Engels 1874 V On Social Relations in Russia

Source: MECW, Volume 24, p. 39; Written: between mid-May 1874 and April 1875; First Published: part V as a pamphlet, parts I-IV in Der Volksstaat in 1875; Transcribed: by Andy Blunden

...Russia undoubtedly is on the eve of a revolution. Her financial affairs are in extreme disorder. Taxes cannot be screwed any higher, the interest on old state loans is paid by means of new loans, and every new loan meets with greater difficulties; money can now be raised only on the pretext of building railways! The administration, corrupt from top to bottom as of old, the officials living more from theft, bribery and extortion than on their salaries. The entire agricultural production - by far the most essential for Russia - completely dislocated by the redemption settlement of 1861; the big landowners, without sufficient labour power; the peasants without sufficient land, oppressed by taxation and sucked dry by usurers; agricultural production declining by the year. The whole held together with great difficulty and only outwardly by an oriental despotism the arbitrariness of which we in the West simply cannot imagine; a despotism that, from day to day, not only comes into more glaring contradiction with the views of the enlightened classes and, in particular, with those of the rapidly developing bourgeoisie of the capital, but, in the person of its present bearer, has lost its head, one day making concessions to liberalism and the next, frightened, cancelling them again and thus bringing itself more and more into disrepute. With all that, a growing recognition among the enlightened strata of the nation concentrated in the capital that this position is untenable, that a revolution is impending, and the illusion that it will be possible to guide this revolution along a smooth, constitutional channel. Here all the conditions of a revolution are combined, of a revolution that, started by the upper classes of the capital, perhaps even by the government itself, must be rapidly carried further, beyond the first constitutional phase, by the peasants; of a revolution that will be of the greatest importance for the whole of Europe, if only because it will destroy at one blow the last, so far intact, reserve of the entire European reaction. This revolution is surely approaching. Only two events could still delay it: a successful war against Turkey or Austria, for which money and firm alliances are necessary, or - a premature attempt at insurrection, which would drive the possessing classes back into the arms of the government.

<http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1874/refugee-literature/ch05.htm> ***** -- Yoshie