Stan Goff, "Victories Overruled"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Dec 14 14:35:09 PST 2002

>Goff makes the US military sound grossly overrated here. How
>credible is this? Aren't the Russians & Chinese pretty impressed
>with it? The war game may have been fixed, but Goff conceded the US
>will walk all over iraq anyway. So what gives?
>
>Doug

It's one thing to fight for Chavez and the Bolivarian Revolution, which means fighting for freedom, democracy, land, bread, education, and health care in Venezuela; it's completely another thing to fight because Saddam Hussein -- who is unlikely to be much loved by ordinary Iraqis, be they soldiers or civilians -- orders that you fight (or else). I doubt (as Stan does) that Iraqi soldiers' morale is high.

At 2:14 PM -0800 12/14/02, Ian Murray wrote:
>there's no reason to think the US military would not fight as
>fiercely as it did when it moved through France on the way to
>Germany with something as large at stake as securing a happy future
>for the Fortune 500.

Rank-and-file soldiers don't own the Fortune 500. Those who command them have to give them a good reason to fight, like fighting against fascism, and then they must embrace it as their own cause.

The subjective (= faith, ideals, morale, etc.) does count after all. -- Yoshie