Stan Goff, "Victories Overruled"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Dec 16 14:25:19 PST 2002

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> At 5:46 PM -0500 12/14/02, Doug Henwood wrote:
> >The U.S. military is composed of trained professional killers who
> >think they're doing god's work. We're not talking an army of
> >reluctant conscripts. So if morale etc. counts, then you may be
> >underestimating the U.S. military.

Some trivial anecdotage that may or may not be significant. Back in 1989 my son joined the marine reserves, & ended up getting activated & sent to the Gulf. _Half_ his platoon (all from Chicago area) took the attitude that while they wouldn't stick their necks out to resist going to the Gulf, if they were ever sent to fight Latin American peasants they wouldn't go.

That was mere talk, no indication of what they might really do. But it _is_ an indication that the motives and response to training of volunteers is not a wholly sure thing!

Carrol