Plus ça change

Kelley jimmyjames at softhome.net
Mon Dec 16 15:25:24 PST 2002

"Plus ça change, plus c'est pareil"

I know that this proverb translates as "The more things change, the more things stay the same."

One of my client's thinks I should use a literal translation <rolling eyes>. Does anyone have anything at all I can cite in a footnote--something authoritative--perhaps even an explanation. I checked out the library but, uh, well it doesn't exactly have any books that could help me. Perhaps the larger library might. In the meantime, if anyone has some handy reference book or book that translates common French expressions that covers this one, I'd be immensely grateful.

Grassyass

Although, I much prefer the David Mamet flick, "Things Change".