cutting payroll taxes

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 16 15:46:45 PST 2002

Thank for the useful feedback on this, I should have remembered that some payroll taxes are split. Nonetheless no one here seems to really disagree that the proposal in the usual form is more Laffer Curve/anti-social welfare stuff. With regard to Reich's liberal; variant, Marta says:

> And what about the fact that some level of unemployment must be
maintained and the disabled have traditionally been in that segment of the population -- permanently unemployed. Marta

But the disabled aren't usually considered part of the reserve army of the unemployed because they often can't work without reasonable accommodation, so it's not an effective threat to a non-disabled worker to say, Take what we give you and like it, or we'll fire you and hire a disabled worker who'll work for less! Even if the disabled worker would work for less, the additional costs of accommodation might even out the expenses.

-- Marta Russell Los Angeles, CA http://www.disweb.org