trent nickles, don lott

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Mon Dec 16 18:35:07 PST 2002

On Monday, December 16, 2002, at 08:24 PM, Ian Murray wrote:

> On a Seattle talk radio show today, featuring Dan Savage on Lott, the
> culture of apology in "the South" etc. etc. a recent migrant to Seattle
> from North Carolina stated that folks are making a mountain out of a
> mole-hill on Lott/Thurmond/Dixiecrat politics because citizens in "the
> South" now spend far more time talking about class than they do talking
> about race. And this guy, while he claimed to detest Lott and the rest
> of Southern politics didn't come across as a radical lefty by any
> means.......

is that why there's a cross-burning case before the supreme court? seriously, i think it's a bit much to say that race is a mole hill in the south, yet. i really have been finding the defenses of lott by other commentators (like novak and buchanan) more telling than lott's remarks themselves. although i should say that i saw a good part of lott's appearance on BET, tonight, and it reminded me of something a grad school friend of mine used to say: when in a hole, stop digging. lott said things like "i'm for affirmative action" and noted as how he'd hired african-american staff, which struck me as akin to saying, "some of my best staffers are negroes."