Venezuela Lockout Fails, 32 American States Reject US Initiative, & US Backpedals

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Tue Dec 17 14:00:51 PST 2002

Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> fowarded Narco news report (narconews at hotmail.com)

<sniping most of an excellent article>

>- - 90 percent of all contract employees of the oil industry are back at work, now that the executives who locked them out have been removed.

<snip>

Meanwhile Accordign to the AP:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2002/12/17/financial1519EST0194.DTL

> he strike has reduced Venezuela's oil output of nearly 3 million barrels a day to 400,000 barrels per day, sending the price of crude oil above $30 a barrel. Venezuela's strike coincides with speculation that possible U.S. action against Iraq might take Iraqi oil off the market.
>
> One of the world's largest oil refineries stopped refining products because of the strike. Curacao's Refineria Isla was running out of storage capacity as international clients sought alternate supplies, said Norbert Chaclin, the refinery's technical services manager.
>
> The refinery, operated by Venezuela's oil company, stopped producing gasoline, lubricants, jet fuel, propane and other products for the United States and the Caribbean, Chaclin said. Its last delivery was Sunday.
>
> Two of Venezuela's largest refineries, including one producing gasoline for Venezuela and the United States, have shut down. State oil company executives have vowed to cap wells until Chavez resigns or calls early elections.
>
> Venezuela's 13-tanker shipping fleet lies at anchor, its striking crews refusing to deliver their cargos. Foreign shippers refuse to operate in Venezuela, citing unsafe conditions. Insurers refuse to cover transport to and from Venezuela, the No. 4 oil exporter to the United States.
>
> Chavez was dealt another blow Tuesday when officials at the giant Hovensa refinery in the U.S. Virgin Island of St. Croix announced no gasoline shipment was headed to Venezuela.
>
> Venezuela has a majority stake in the refinery, which also supplies the U.S. East Coast and is one of the largest in the Western Hemisphere. Its 400,000-barrel-per-day production has been cut in half.

So has the strike been borken or not?

Also - is there anythign ordinary U.S. citizens can do oppose this coup attemp?

Is there someone we should write to? Have demonstrations been called?