Malaysia bans Brad Pitt's ad

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Tue Dec 17 17:27:36 PST 2002

HindustanTimes.com

Tuesday, December 17, 2002

Malaysia bans Brad Pitt advertisement

Agence France-Presse Kuala Lumpur, December 17

Malaysia has banned a television advertisement featuring Hollywood heartthrob Brad Pitt, saying it was an insult to Asian looks, local media reported on Tuesday.

Deputy Information Minister Zainuddin Maidin said the use of Western faces in advertisements could create an inferiority complex among Asians, the official Bernama news agency reported.

"Why do we need to use their faces in our advertisements? Are our own people not handsome?" he asked.

"We barred the advertisement as it appeared as a humiliation against Asians," he said.

The banned ad showed Pitt promoting Toyota cars.

© Hindustan Times Ltd. 2002. Reproduction in any form is prohibited without prior permission To send your feedback, via web click here or email feedback at hindustantimes.com