How Should the Left Respond---get fucked

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue Dec 17 20:01:50 PST 2002

Where did these questions come from? What provocateur wrote them to begin with? ... But it will take another year or two before masses of people ... to learn that there is nothing to say to a war but NO!

Carrol ---------

The questions are from a survey done by Dissent Magazine, posted by Mike Pugliese. If you go back to Mike's first post on this thread, you will find the questions and links:

http://www.dissentmagazine.org/articles/fa02/symp/berman.htm http://www.dissentmagazine.org/articles/fa02/symp/cohen.htm http://www.dissentmagazine.org/articles/fa02/symp/gitlin.htm http://www.dissentmagazine.org/articles/fa02/symp/hoffmann.htm http://www.dissentmagazine.org/articles/fa02/symp/makiya.htm http://www.dissentmagazine.org/articles/fa02/symp/rule.htm http://www.dissentmagazine.org/articles/fa02/symp/snitow.htm http://www.dissentmagazine.org/articles/fa02/symp/willis.htm

I read part way through most of them and just shook my head. What are these people thinking? Most of them should be old enough to have been through the Vietnam era---maybe not. I don't know. But they write like this is some new deal, like we haven't ever seen this before, that nothing ever happened before 9/11, that whatever 9/11 was it was inexplicable, etc.

But forget them for the moment.

What the fuck are elected officials, in-line military and Pentagon staff thinking? They sure as hell have been down this very road, many times. They should know you can't just fabricate some bullshit excuse and claim it is a good enough reason to go to war. I don't mean the moral question here. The reason for war is an integral part of making war as a practical matter, because that reason has to be convincing enough to a lot of people to kill and die for in the immediate present. In the long term, it has to be convincing enough to want to win. These idiots are gambling that it will be over fast enough so there is no long term. What if it isn't over that fast?

This isn't some computer game where you just push F1 menu Select and click on Replay, if you don't like the outcome.

Chuck Grimes