Left wing senator booted out of PT review panel

topp8564 at mail.usyd.edu.au topp8564 at mail.usyd.edu.au
Tue Dec 17 23:36:17 PST 2002

Since I translated the article below, I have found out (http:// www1.folha.uol.com.br/folha/dinheiro/ult91u60829.shtml) that Meirelles has been approved by 21 votes against 5, with one abstention. The PFL (Party of the Liberal Front; hardcore IMF drones) and the PSDB voted in favour. FDSP comments that "The panel confronting Meirelles exemplified the climate of non-agression which characterises the transition of governments." One criticism of Meirelles, raised by Antero Paes de Barroes (PSDB from Mato Grosso do Sul) brought up Meirelles implication in a Parliamentary Inquiry (like a royal comission, but with even more direct political supervision) which found irregularities in BankBoston's practices whilst he was the president.

The later article mentions those points at which Meirelles and Palocci are in agreement:

"The 'implacable' control of inflation, maintaining the purchasing power of the Real, honouring contracts taken by the government, these were all precepts emphatically defended by the future president of the Central Bank during his opening address and in response to questions asked by the Senators. ""My actions heading the Central Bank will be technical, there will be no surprises or pretend-creative measures to control inflation", he said. One of the forms of control against rising prices accepted by Meirelles, is raising interest rates."

I don't think there is a chance in hell they are following the script for a default...

Thiago Oppermann

Folha de São Paulo 17.12.02

Crying, Heloísa Helena announces she will not participate in Meirelle's Senate Review.

Senator Heloísa Helena (PT- Alagoas State) will no longer participate in the CAE (Economic Issues Commission) session which will review Lula's nominee for the presidency of the Central Bank, Henrique Meirelles. The comission will begin its review this Tuesday.

The decision was taken this evening in a PT senate caucus, with the presence of Senator Helena and Eduardo Suplicy (São Paulo), José Eduardo Dutra (Sergipe) Roberto Saturnino (Rio de Janeiro) and the president of the PT, José Genoino, amongst others.

"It was clear that it is very important at this moment that the party show unity, with the right to dissent. The PT will act in a unified manner," affirmed Genoino. "The preservation of Heloísa Helena's political position together with the Party's unity demands her absence from the CAE session."

Very emotional and crying, even before entering the caucus meeting, Heloísa Helena said that she "recognises the political tolerance of the PT, which allows that her values and ideological convictions be preserved." Asked for the reason for her tears, the Senator sobbed and refused to respond. [I very much doubt they would use this language for a male politician; children sob ("soluçar") in portuguese, not adults]

The caucus decided that the principal issue is to maintain party unity and that, to respect Senator Helena's opinion, she will be excluded from the review session. He place will be taken by José Eduardo Dutra. The PT decided that Heloísa Helena will be free to participate in the secret ballot in the plenary, the last stage in the aproval of Meirelles' nomination.

"The principles and motives which led Lula to nominate Meirelles to the Central Bank are also principles which the PT defends and which I also defend. We want to end here the internal polemic over this issue", he said. [the text is unclear as to who this is, I suppose it is Genoino]

Portuguese original at: http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/folha/brasil/ ult96u43645.shtml

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP: www-mail.usyd.edu.au