Keynes on wage cuts

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 20 16:39:14 PST 2002

>From distant memory. Paul Samuelson wrote a column for Newsweek back in
the '70s. In one of those columns he commented on the high inflation of the late '70s, and his point was exactly this, that it was a neat way to lower wages. He said something like "Blood would run in the streets" if a nominal wage cut of similar magnitude were put through. I think he overestimated the willingness of the working class, at that time, to fight. But it would be nice to think otherwise.

Carrol