Malaysian restaurants stop selling Coke

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 20 19:35:05 PST 2002

> KUALA LUMPUR: About 1,200 Malaysian restaurants have stopped selling
> Coca-Cola to protest what they consider a symbol of Western oppression of
> Muslims, a coalition of Islamic nongovernment organisations said on
Tuesday.

Clearly a windfall for the proprietors of the local Pepsi distributor and other soft drink factories. [http://www.manufacturing.com.my/beverage.html] The latter _may_ even be Chinese, or other ethnic minorities who face open and institutionalised racism in Malaysia. It seems the razor that Dr Mahathir walks, in appeasing (1) global capital, (2) Bumiputra nationalism/national capital and (3) slamism, is getting sharper and sharper.