Protest ISO Cop-Baiting and Thuggery!/"Stanley Aronowitz, and his pro-imperialist "anti-war" position."

Lance Murdoch MurdochLance at netscape.net
Mon Dec 23 02:58:32 PST 2002

> We have to put a stop to the protest du jour mentality that the Left
> engages in, where it drops all work on one issue to go work on another
> hot one. This war situation has prompted more than a few activists
> to drop their work on economic justice, anti-globalization, and
> anti-capitalist issues, precisely at a time when most Americans are
> worried about the economy. Where did the economic critique go in the
> anti-war movement?
> Where are the signs that read, "IT'S THE ECONOMY STUPID!"

I tend to agree. I go into the RCP's local bookstore to buy various books once in a while. I remember back when the Afghanistan thing was big the RCP bookstore lady was practically yelling at me "We have to go out there and tell them [the proletariat?] about Afghanistan". Much of the left seems to simply react to tactical moves of the right. Cockburn named his rag counterpunch, and I think that's the right idea, when you spend all your time reacting defensively to what the other side does, they gain the initiative. What you're looking to do is strengthen and expand your side while exploiting weaknesses in the other side, you need to have a strategy of what you yourself are doing, since so many people don't and jump on whatever bandwagon happens to be around, so that they can go to events and wave the banners of whatever their organization is, sell their newspapers, recruit and so forth.

__________________________________________________________________ The NEW Netscape 7.0 browser is now available. Upgrade now! http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp