all those well-paid soldiers

Kelley jimmyjames at softhome.net
Mon Dec 23 07:33:39 PST 2002

At 08:47 AM 12/23/02 -0600, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:
>listening to a report on npr, right now. apparently the army actually
>acknowledges that poverty is a real problem for some of their soldiers, to
>the point that they are actually starting a "grant" program. a lot of
>military families in the lowest pay grades are on food stamps, apparently.

Some posted about this last year I believe. Something about how the first 2-4 yrs of pay isn't enough to handle supporting spouse, several dependents (e.g., woman with children prior to union with member of mil) and racking up huge debts buying cars, rental furniture, etc. It was an interesting article and I'll see if I can't dig it up.

Here's the latest numbers. As someone mentioned, the majority of mil members are E5s. An E5 with, married, no other dependents earns:

Salary: 2236/month Housing: 581/month Uniform: 37/month Food: 262/month

-------

3116/month

Family Separation Allowance: 100.00/month

Navy: add $425/month for sea duty.

Yearly Salary: $37,392 + Medical/Dental/College bennies and assorted other family service benefits such as family counseling, child care, etc. etc.

If high cost of living area, they get 25% more--for places like Hawaii and Seattle, for instance.

Given that the wasband is making 31K, slaving away for the same salary he made in 1992, minus dental benefits which he once had and even shittier insurance, on the same job since 1986--he started out at a whopping $25k--then I'd say this ain't bad for a guy who enlisted in 1992.

Of course, some people on this list think that my ex-husband's salary is just HYYYOOOOOOOOOGE and that there are relatively few women fighting for child support who have exes with such HYYYYYOOOOOGE salaries. @@