Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Dec 28 12:49:50 PST 2002

At 3:03 PM -0500 12/28/02, Nathan Newman wrote:
>But the generational issue is very real in organizational power dynamics--
>I've seen it for years and years and think it's contributed to a large
>disillusionment among activists of my general age group. Lots of younger
>people put up with it for a few years and then give up. This is the
>experience of the Guild and a lot of other groups as well. The membership
>demographics of the Guild looks like a vase, lots of people in their 20s and
>lots in their 50s, but very few in their 30s or early 40s.

It's possible that our age group in the USA -- and Japan too -- are more conservative than those older and younger than us, as we grew up in conservative times. One of my earliest pre-teen television memories is the broadcast of the Asama Sanso (Mount Asama Villa) incident in 1972, the nadir and endgame of the (long) 60s' radicalism; the 80s in Japan, during which I went to college, made many Japanese feel like economic growth would never end. Growing up in the USA during the same decades would have meant growing up in the times of the great conservative counter-offensive. -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/>