Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Dec 28 23:32:53 PST 2002

David Schanoes wrote:

> Huh? Does this include African-American baby-boomers? Or don't they count?
>
> What a bunch of crap. History based on advertising demographics....

If I remember correctly, almost all the catch phrases (such as "baby boomers") used to describe the '60s (then and now) were coined by _Time_.

I can understand why people who weren't around in the '60s would swallow the cliches, but so do (and did) many of the people who were around then.

And notice, those who like to use the term "baby boomers" are for the most part reactionary in their politics. This love of political cliches which are grounded in pop psychology from the mass media is strange to say the least.

"Baby boomers" was a stupid phrase when it was coined, and it is still a mindless phrase. I hope no one using it has the nerve to talk about dogmatism and left jargon.

Carrol