Protest ISO Cop-Baiting and Thuggery!/"Stanley Aronowitz, and his pro-imperialist "anti-war" position."

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Dec 29 13:37:54 PST 2002

At 11:05 AM -0500 12/29/02, Chuck0 wrote:
>>I don't mean any disrespect for ISO and anarchists, but I don't see
>>any bright political future for either group. Both types of
>>politics appear to appeal to the same age group (perhaps anarchists
>>are a bit younger), except that the ISO folks tend to be more
>>widely read than anarchists and that anarchists tend to be whiter
>>than ISO, which seems to somehow attract a sizable number of young
>>intellectuals from the subcontinent. Several years ago, there were
>>a couple of brilliant Indian graduate students at OSU who were in
>>ISO (I don't know if they still belong to it -- I've lost touch
>>with them, alas). Both are beautiful, and one of them is drop-dead
>>gorgeous; I hope to see them again somewhere.
>
>Oddly enough, I've been running a comprehensive survey of anarchists
>(http://www.infoshop.org/survey2002.php) and I've gotten over 200
>Ohio, of all placs, is a developing hotbed of anarchism. It's been
>surprising to get surveys from anarchists living all over that state
>(Columbus, Cleveland, Dayton, Cincinnati, North Bend, Akron, etc).
>
>I certainly disagree with your assessment of us anarchists, since
>our numbers are still growing around the world. I got surveys today
>from anarchists in Korea and Malaysia. I also got an email from an
>anarchist in the Philippines, who I've been working with to create
>webpages for him and his comrades.

Responding to surveys is one thing; organizing or coming out for actions is another. My assessment is that Columbus anarchists (clustered around Anti-Racist Action) have the capacity to mobilize about 20 (during breaks and exam seasons in school calendars) and 60+ (when kids are in school) mainly on their own. The most recent action called by Anti-Racist Action (on December 10) attracted about 30, including myself (the only person of color in the crowd). Nationwide, I'd say that the anarchist mobilizing capacity is between 2,000 and 3,000. "No War But Class War" is not yet the slogan to which millions in the USA respond.

At 12:04 PM -0500 12/29/02, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Speaking from the experience of having been on a panel with Chuck,
>I've got to say he's right. You'd never guess he's an anarchist just
>from looking.
>
>Doug

Is he dressed like a librarian? -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/>