Black beans and rice, was Color of Anarchism

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Dec 30 17:55:39 PST 2002

Chuck Grimes wrote:

> Trading food recipes for solidarity. Everybody's got a home recipe for
> black beans. Here's mine:
>
> 1 lb dried black beans
> 1 lb smoked bacon ends
> 3-4 red onions
> 1/2 stalk celery
> 4-5 jalapenos fresh
> 2-3 cups red wine
> 1/4 cup soy sauce (for salt)
> 1/2 clove garlic
> 1/4 cup hand ground cumin seeds
> 1 tbls hand ground ground black pepper
> 2-3 tbls Grandmas chili power
>
> Plus several large pinches of: thyme, rosemary, oregano, salt and a
> bay leaf. Clean the dried beans and soak for about four hours, wash,
> add to a pot covered with about an inch of water or broth. If you
> don't like bacon use bbq'd chicken or beef and if you don't like meat,
> substitute olive oil and bbq'd egg plant or squash cut in small
> junks. Fry the smoked bacon ends and drain some fat then brown the
> onions and celery in that, then separately fry the cumin and jalapenos
> (with seeds) with garlic and chili power. Pour it all into the same
> pot and simmer for about four or five hours and add the wine late to
> keep some of the wine flavor. Serve with steamed rice. This is pretty
> hot, so cut back on the jalapenos and black pepper for a lower scoville
> rating.
>
> You don't need a social connection, you don't need racial demographic
> analysis, you don't need to be any good in Spanish if you've got a
> killer pot of beans. The anarchist cookbook like most radical tracks
> was completely mis-guided. You make friends with food, not bombs.
> If you're near the ocean, fishing works almost as good as food, sort of
> the same idea.

Awesome! Thanks for the recipe, Chuck! I'm always looking for good prol recipes like this. I'll have to substitute something for the bacon, but otherwise this is great.

I've been meaning to put out an Anarchist Cookbook for several years now. As soon as I locate the draft, it might see its way into print in 2003.

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

"The state can't give you free speech, and the state can't take it away. You're born with it, like your eyes, like your ears. Freedom is something you assume, then you wait for someone to try to take it away. The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free..." ---Utah Phillips