propaganda

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Dec 31 07:46:22 PST 2002

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, The New York Post was quoted as saying:

> As part of a worldwide p.r. blitz to drown out the Hollywood
> nay-sayers, the State Department's International Information Programs
> is releasing a pamphlet called "Writers on America," in which such
> literary stars as Pulitzer Prize-winning novelists Richard Ford and
> Michael Chabon, veteran poet Robert Creeley and National Book
> Award-winner Charles Johnson discuss the nation's strength,
> diversity, and compassion.

Um . . .wouldn't this be a little more effective if they got a bunch of immigrants to write how happy they were here? Rather than get Richard Ford to say how growing up in Mississippi is just like arriving in New York from Karachi? Why on earth would an Egyptian find that convincing? I would think it would seem rather like a confirmation of our arrogance.

And what is the point of gathering a roster famous writers when the target audience has never heard of them? Wouldn't you be better off hiring young hungry ones who would write to spec and not for the ages?

If this were really targeted at convincing the muslim world how good we are, I'd have to say it was most pitifully inept propaganda program I've ever heard of.

On the other hand, if it were yet another effort aimed at convincing Americans how tolerant we are (despite appearances to the contrary), it seems right on target.

Michael