European faith

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Tue Dec 31 10:24:16 PST 2002

It is my understanding that in east Germany, the churches lost a lot of their membership following reunification because of the legal requirement that declared church members pay a tax to the church to which one belongs to.

And isn't it still the case that in German universities, the departments of theology remain under the control of the churches? I seem to recall the case of a theology professor losing his post at a state university because he had publicly avowed his loss of faith in Christianity.

Jim F.

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com