propaganda (and beans)

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Tue Dec 31 13:22:25 PST 2002

>On beans. Does the anarchist cookbook have a preparation method for
>black-eyed beans that would satisfy tradition and the palate
>simultaneously? I've always felt that eating them was like eating dirt
>-a good prepartion for a year of humility. Not appetizing.
>
>Martin

My theory on black-eyed peas is that for dried ones the sell-through rate is so low you end up with old dessicated ones, almost impossible to resurrect. Try finding frozen, or better yet, get yourself some frozen zipper peas (an acceptable substitute for Hopping John--my mama's from Alabama, so complaints should be directed to her), 2 1/2 cups of water for a pound, add half a teaspoon of salt or a hunk of salt pork, or use turkey or chicken broth left over from boiling the remains of the xmas bird. Boil the water or broth, add the frozen peas and at least 2 crushed cloves of garlic, boil again and simmer for half an hour or until they're tender but not mushy--towards the end add a little more salt and, if desired, some pepper. There should be lots of liquor. I mean, in the peas. Goes with cornbread, not rice, since Southern peasants always have more corn around--cornbread has an equivalent luck factor anyway, I looked it up.

Jenny Brown