Venezuelan strike beginning to fail

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Tue Dec 31 13:54:31 PST 2002

>On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 14:08:06 -0500 "David Schanoes" <dmsch at attglobal.net>
>writes:
>> App 4-6 months ago, Counterpunch first printed an article about a
>> female USAF combat officer stationed in the Mideast who was required (and
>> battling the requirement) that she conform to the community standards for
>> womens' attire in the Moslem area.

So we're for women in the military to be required to wear burkahs, prohibited from driving, and to not be seen giving orders to male soldiers? Is this some misplaced respect for Saudi anti-woman apartheid? Or disgust that U.S. bases themselves are not criticised in favor of close examination of a sexist wrinkle on the face of the imperial war machine? Or frustration that feminism only rates when it's USAF officers or CEOs? I'm with you there, but even women cops and military women need equality--if you ever want the military on your side you better hope the officer corps is not composed entirely of embittered white frat boys.

Jenny Brown