Venezuelan strike beginning to fail

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Dec 31 15:42:37 PST 2002

JBrown72073 at cs.com wrote:

> [clip] -if you ever want the
> military on your side you better hope the officer corps is not composed
> entirely of embittered white frat boys.

This is a question rather beyond the horizon for the present, but speculatively --

Armies that have gone over to anti-government forces have always been, I think, conscript armies. One might guess that an officer corps made up of embittered frat boys might create a differently embittered rank-and-file. If outside pressure on the imperial army necessitates recourse to conscription, the future becomes more open. If "high-tech" (i.e., genocidal strategies of warfare) actually does make a mercenary (all volunteer) army practicable-- then ??????

Carrol