Color of Anarchism Re: Protest ISO...

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Dec 31 18:04:54 PST 2002

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
> At 11:46 AM -0800 12/31/02, Thomas Seay wrote:
>
>> The black communities (as well as others) have their forms of
>> organization.
>

> They do, but that doesn't stop them from joining the Democrats, the
> Republicans, or any other organization.

Right. And 12% of Congress is African-American? When are these parties going to run somebody other than rich white guys for president?

How about in 2004 if both parties agreed to just run black women for president? Condaleeza Rice versus Cynthia McKinney?

> At 11:46 AM -0800 12/31/02, Thomas Seay wrote:
>
>> There is no need for a "recruitment" policy. No need UNLESS you
>> believe in vanguardism and have to get everyone to unify around a
>> party program. I suspect that it is this need for so-called unity
>> (MEDIATED by a vanguard party) that drives much of this concern for
>> recruitment of minorities.
>

> Is it only the "vanguard parties" that should exhibit concern for
> recruitment of minorities? None of the institutions that I've mentioned
> as points of comparison -- the US military, corporations, the Bretton
> Woods institutions, the Democrats, the Republicans, etc. -- are what you
> call "vanguard parties." It seems they are interested at the very least
> for their own good; and so are most left-wing political organizations --
> like the Labor Party, the Green Party, etc. -- though results vary. Why
> shouldn't anarchists be interested in recruitment of minorities or
> should they be less interested than political institutions that are not
> "vanguard parties"?

Because anarchists do things differently. We aren't into the recruiting thing.

> At 11:46 AM -0800 12/31/02, Thomas Seay wrote:
>
>> Minorities have and will continue to revolt. I wonder what would have
>> happened during the LA riots if the WWP had been leading that revolt
>> (they probably would have requested that the rioters wait and get a
>> march permit from the police). Let each of us revolt and demonstrate
>> in our own way and not impose our expectations and our model on others.
>

> You mean the 1991 LA riot? It wasn't a "black riot." What is often
> overlooked are the uprising's multiracial character -- whites, Latinos,
> and others participated in looting, etc.; multiple causes of the
> uprising (economic distress, chronic police brutality and racial
> profiling, the fact that a teenage black girl named Latasha Harlins was
> shot to death by a female Korean grocery owner Soon Ja Du inside her
> shop and she was given probation, etc.); effects of the uprising, for
> instance on Latinos:

Right, but Thomas was spot on about the WWP. There is abundant proof that whenever a vanguard party puts itself in front of dissent, that dissent is tamed. Sometimes I wonder if the government is handing out cash for this work.

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

"The state can't give you free speech, and the state can't take it away. You're born with it, like your eyes, like your ears. Freedom is something you assume, then you wait for someone to try to take it away. The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free..." ---Utah Phillips