beans (was Re: #103)

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Tue Dec 31 18:50:14 PST 2002

Chuck Grimes wrote:
>You gotta explain xtianos y morros. My Spanish is non-existent, even

>though I lived in Guadalajara as a kid---forgot it all. It's a

>figurative expression, something and noses for a rice and beans dish

>with the beans as the noses? If you feel like it post the recipe.

Way over my posting limit for the day, and headed to a new years party, Cristianos y Morros is black beans and rice, Christians and Moors, battling it out on the plate. But I'm probably mispelling it, one r or two?

My black beans (influenced by a Puerto Rican buddy of mine but who knows if they're PR tipica) are a standard recipe except they have more bell peppers than you could imagine, like 6 green bell peppers for a pot of beans. They cook down and become one with the sauce. Hold two out to put in later so you've got some recognizable texture.

>I think it really helps to crush the

seeds with a pestle and then fry them in oil for a better flavor.

yeah, the trick to many curries

The hot politics-hot food correlation is probably confounded by the hot weather-hot food connection (necessity of food preservatives) or perhaps there's just an extra urgency to kicking out the euro marauders to save a food tradition...

Jenny Brown