Israel jails 600 reservists

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Feb 1 02:50:01 PST 2002

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Hakki Alacakaptan wrote:

> The part about a large number of desertions was reported by Le Monde on
> Jan 25:

Yes, that's been reported several places for some time (although it is more a refusal to show up for duty than desertion, which is a bit different), as well as the published letter of the reserve officers calling on soldiers to refuse occupation duty. It's the headline news of the mass arrests that I can't find anywhere else -- and you'd think that would be difficult to keep secret. After all, these are mainstream Israeli citizens they would have arrested. But if my skeptical friend Nusi (even more skeptical than me, Hakki :o) says it could be true than I believe him.