Afghanistan Loses UN Vote Over $4,600 in Unpaid Dues

Matthew Snyder matthew at pobox.com
Fri Feb 1 09:23:45 PST 2002

Doug Henwood writes:
> Kevin Robert Dean wrote:
>
> >Afghanistan Loses UN Vote Over $4,600 in Unpaid Dues
>
> What about the U.S.? Aren't we hundreds of millions behind?

No, we paid the back dues after 9/11.

Quoting http://www.cunr.org/Payment%20of%20UN%20dues.htm

``On September 24, the House of Representatives authorized $582 million in back dues owed to the United Nations. This enabled the Bush Administration to pay part of the U.S. arrears arrears to the U.N. "Meeting our financial obligations to the United Nations will help to ensure that our policy-makers can keep the focus on broad policies that unite the members of the Security Council in the fight against global terrorism," said Rep. Henry Hyde (R-IL) chairman of the House International Relations Committee.

``In addition to the release of these funds, on October 12, 2001, the U.S. paid the U.N. $625 million to help clear most debts to countries that contributed to peacekeeping activities in previous years. The United States is also expected to make additional payments totaling $834 million by the end of December, including the $582 million in arrears. According to the United Nations (as of September 30, 2001), the United States owed assessed contributions of $2.3 billion - $447 million for the U.N. regular budget, $37 million for International Tribunals, and $1.8 billion for peacekeeping.''

Matthew