English speakers in Russia

Charles Brown CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Fri Feb 1 10:35:20 PST 2002

Add to this the fact that you were here in 1994, just three years after the USSR fell apart. English was not a commonly studied subject in the Soviet Union -- hell, Bulgarian or Moldovan was more useful than English. Moreover, though Soviet education in general was superb (and Russian education still is; I have never seen a more highly educated group of people in my life -- the hatboy at the local bar reads Fichte for fun) its foreign-language training sucked. These people could very easily have been very highly educated.

I have never seen a more highly educated group of people in my life

^^^^^

CB: Nothing but the best for the working class

Fichte, hmmm, Hey, maybe the SU fell because they let too much idealist philo into the curriculum :>)