Letter From Pôrto Alegre

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Fri Feb 1 20:30:15 PST 2002

Chuck Munson wrote:

> Most of the rank and file members of the movement can't afford
> to go to Pôrto Alegre, even those here in North America. Not
> everybody can scare up some money and vacation time to fly to
> Brazil to sip latte and discuss internationl development.
>
> Many of these people will be braving the cold and the elements
> tomorrow in New York City. If anybody is going to "make another
> world possible," it will be these activists in the streets, not the
> NGO yuppies hobnobbing in Pôrto Alegre.

What about the people in "the movement" who walked, drove, or bussed to Porto Alegre - ?

[Cooper wrote:]

"the gringos are the fifth-largest delegation here--about 400 credentialed reps out of a total of 12,000"

I don't know the percentages or where all the delegations originate from, but if the majority of the "gringos" from up this-a-way and others from over that-a-way are NGO yuppies, does that go for the others as well? Or are you saying that, based on what you know of the event, it's mostly wasted effort in any case? Just curious.

--

/ dave /