unlawful combatants

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Fri Feb 1 20:29:13 PST 2002

I've not been able to follow the list much lately, and I've only skimmed this article in the print edition the other day, but it seems a useful resource on the topic.

-j

The Military Tribunals on Trial

By Aryeh Neier

Among the many defects of President Bush's order for military commissions to try suspected al-Qaeda members or supporters is that it lumps together at least four categories of persons who have distinct sets of rights under either domestic or international law. The four categories of persons subject to trial by military commissions under the President's order are: (1) prisoners of war captured in Afghanistan; (2) unlawful combatants arrested in Afghanistan or elsewhere in the world outside the United States; (3) illegal aliens in the United States or aliens who came to the United States legally as with student or visitor visasbut with the alleged purpose of engaging in terrorism; and (4) legal aliens with permanent resident status who are accused of engaging in terrorist acts.

the rest is at:

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/15122