Re: Letter From Pôrto Alegre

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Fri Feb 1 22:40:10 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Munson" <chuck at tao.ca> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 9:26 PM Subject: Re: Letter From Pôrto Alegre

/ dave / wrote:

> What about the people in "the movement" who walked, drove, or
bussed to
> Porto Alegre - ?

They are kosher in my book.

> [Cooper wrote:]
>
> "the gringos are the fifth-largest delegation here--about 400
> credentialed reps out of a total of 12,000"
>
> I don't know the percentages or where all the delegations
originate
> from, but if the majority of the "gringos" from up this-a-way and
others
> from over that-a-way are NGO yuppies, does that go for the others
as
> well? Or are you saying that, based on what you know of the
event, it's
> mostly wasted effort in any case? Just curious.

I'm not saying that the WSF is a waste of time. I was invited, but I don't have the money to take the subway downtown, no to mention a plane to Brazil. My point is that the representatives from North America and Europe represent the more moderate and reformist wing of the movement. They have the ability to use the WSF as a platform to condemn those of us who are stuck back here who don't share their ideas about tactics. One only has to read Susan George's new essay to see that they will hang the militant out to dry whenever they can.

And of course *representation* is a form of decadence as we might have to trust others to speak for *our* interests. But the *our* along with all *we's* are an illusion of bourgeois thinking..................

What; the militant want to be *like* the.................military

Time for some new metaphors and categories..........

Ian